Skip to content

Teatro Piermarini

Matelica
Teatro Piermarini

At the beginning of the nineteenth century, Matelica felt the need for a theatrical structure, so in 1805, the task of designing a theatre was entrusted to Giuseppe Piermarini, author of the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. After his death, the building was completed in 1812 by master builders Domenico Belli and Francesco Fontana, with some modifications to the original design. The inauguration took place with three melodramas: Ser Marcantonio by Pavesi, Oh, che originale! by Mayer and The Self-Senitional Philosopher of Moscow. In 1849 the architect Vincenzo Ghinelli oversaw a significant restoration, expanding the proscenium and redesigning the boxes. A further restoration, in 1873, led to the replacement of the original vault with decorations by Tito Boccolini and the balcony gallery. After a long restoration project, the theater reopened in 1995 and today hosts a rich theatrical and musical season, managed by the Municipality in collaboration with AMAT.

Historical Context
1805 - 1812
Designed by
Giuseppe Piermarini, Architetto
Capacity
411
Hall type
Horseshoe-shaped hall with 3 tiers of boxes and a balcony gallery
Location
Matelica

Informations

Back To Top