Teatro Comunale Luigi Mercantini

The Teatro Luigi Mercantini , located in the 14th-century Palazzo del Podestà, features a colorful hall and a capacity of approximately 250 spectators. The idea of carrying it out dates back to the 18th century, but it initially encountered resistance from the clergy and difficulties in finding a place. It was Pietro Paolo Neroni, once he became mayor, who began the transformation of the palace, which however was carried out in a rough manner, putting the stability of the building at risk. From 1790 the architect Pietro Maggi took over the project, and the theatre was inaugurated in 1824, although not yet completed. In 1843 the work was completed under the guidance of the architect Bassotti, with the addition of 50 boxes compared to the initial 44. It was named after the poet Luigi Mercantini in 1894, but was closed in 1956 due to its unusability. After a lengthy restoration that began in 1980 and was completed in 2000, the theatre reopened in 2012. It preserves the historic curtain painted by Giuseppe Ruffini in 1811, which depicts "The sacrifice of Virginia", a heroine from Ripatransone. The interior decorations, created by Giovanni Micca in 1875, wonderfully enrich the structure.










