Skip to content

Teatro Giovan Battista Pergolesi

Jesi
Teatro Giovan Battista Pergolesi

In Jesi, around 1628, theatrical performances were held inside the Palazzo Comunale until the Teatro del Leone was founded in 1721 thanks to Domenico Luigi Valeri. The theatre was active until 1759 and subsequently destroyed in 1892. In 1790, a condominium company obtained from the municipality an extra moenia area (outside the walls) for a new theatre, designed by Francesco Maria Ciaraffoni, under the supervision of Cosimo Morelli, whose intervention caused delays and controversy. The inauguration of 1798, hampered by the Jacobin occupation, took place without the participation of the nobility. In 1828 the proscenium boxes were added and appeared in 1839 the gable with the eagle of Frederick appeared. Dedicated to Pergolesi only in 1883, the theatre is today the hub of modern 19th-century urban expansion outside the walls. The main prospectus includes commercial shops. The foyer, with Ionic columns, leads to the cavea, and the ceiling is decorated by Giani with "The Stories of Apollo" and marks the transition to neoclassicism.

Historical Context
1790 - 1798
Designed by
Francesco Maria Ciaraffoni (1720 - 1802) Con La Consulenza Di Cosimo Morelli (1732 - 1812)
Capacity
700
Hall type
Ovoid elliptical hall with 3 tiers of boxes and a gallery
Location
Jesi

Informations

Back To Top