Skip to content

Teatro Sanzio

Urbino
Teatro Sanzio

The Teatro Sanzio in Urbino was built to replace the old theater of the Accademia dei Nobili Signori Pascolini, which was active from 1637 to 1881. Driven by the need for more space, the construction of the new theater began in 1846, based on a design by Vincenzo Ghinelli, who won the commission over Giambattista Meduna.
The theater was built upon the fifteenth-century and was integrated into the urban redevelopment of the area. Inaugurated in 1853 with operas by Giuseppe Verdi, its Neoclassical facade is adorned with doric semi-columns and stone sphinxes.
The interior, which has a seating capacity of 460, features painted decorations by Raffaello Antonioli (1850) and Diomede Catalucci (1897). Famous artists, such as Eleonora Duse and Renata Tebaldi, have graced its stage. Following a period of closure and adaptation for residential use, the theater reopened in 1982 thanks to a restoration project overseen by the architect Giancarlo De Carlo.

Historical Context
1845 - 1853
Designed by
Vincenzo Ghinelli, Architetto (1792 - 1871)
Capacity
460
Hall type
Horseshoe-shaped hall with 3 tiers of boxes and a gallery
Location
Urbino

Informations

Back To Top