Skip to content

Teatro Vittorio Alfieri

Montemarciano
Teatro Vittorio Alfieri

The first theatrical performances in Montemarciano, which began in 1798, took place in a small wooden theatre built in a warehouse. In 1887, a new theatre was finally built, designed by engineer Ernesto Marotti, with administrative supervision by Ernesto Medi. The building takes advantage of the difference in height of the land, with two sections: one houses the entrance and foyer, the other houses the hall and stage. The façade, of late Renaissance inspiration, features Corinthian and Ionic pilasters, arches, rusticated corners and classical decorations. The hall has 37 boxes spread over two tiers, with gilded stucco on the balustrades. Innovative for its time, the theatre uses iron for its load-bearing structures and cast iron columns with Corinthian capitals. The polycentric proscenium arch, with decorative frames and capitals, adds elegance to the room. The interior decorations created by Roberto Buratti include festoons and vases, while the original curtain is the work of the Roman Alberici. Remaining active until the earthquake in 1970, which rendered it unusable, the theatre was restored and reopened in 1985 as the Teatro Vittorio Alfieri.

Historical Context
1884 - 1887
Designed by
Giambattista Marotti, Ingegnere
Capacity
230
Hall type
Horseshoe-shaped hall with 2 tiers of boxes
Location
Montemarciano

Informations

Back To Top