Skip to content

Teatro Comunale

Porto San Giorgio
Teatro Comunale

The people of San Giorgio approved the construction of the municipal theatre in 1811, approving the project by the architect Giuseppe Locatelli in 1812. Work began in 1813, financed by 50 consorts, and was chosen the former municipal mill and oven as the site. Completed in 1816, it was inaugurated the following year and then restored between 1858 and 1860, with decorations by Mariano Piervittori, including the curtain depicting Vittorio Emanuele II. In 1862 the theatre was named after the sovereign. At the beginning of 1900 Sigismondo Nardi decorated the vault, while restorations and transformations in the cinema followed in 1933 and 1937. After its abandonment and uninhabitability in 1946, the conservative restoration begun in 1977 returned the theatre to the city in 1992.

Historical Context
1812 -1817
Designed by
Giuseppe Lucatelli, Architetto (1751 - 1828)
Capacity
286
Hall type
Horseshoe-shaped hall with 3 tiers of boxes and a balcony gallery
Location
Porto San Giorgio

Informations

Back To Top