Teatro Dell’Aquila

The theatrical tradition in Fermo dates back to the sixteenth century, with musical and sacred performances. The first theatre hall was built in the Palazzo Comunale, followed by two other structures, the last of which was destroyed by fire in 1774. On that site, the Municipality commissioned Cosimo Morelli to create a new theatre, designed with an elliptical plan and a neo-sixteenth-century proscenium arch, later revised in 1795 by Lucatelli. The current form of the Teatro dell'Aquila is due to Pietro Ghinelli after the fire of 1826. Inaugurated in 1791, the theater enjoyed famous seasons; reopened in 1997, it has hosted concerts by international orchestras. Today it is located in the Palazzo Comunale, along Via del Girfalco, and connects Piazza del Popolo to the Cathedral. Recent restorations have enhanced the foyers, the 1826 decoration, the ceiling with “The Numi of Olympus” and a Parisian chandelier. The theatre includes a mystical gulf for 31 orchestral musicians and preserves sets by Alessandro Sanquirico, now in the Theatre Museum, currently being set up.












